Work Permits and LMO

Whether you are the employer who wants to hire a foreign worker or a worker who has an offer of employment, NHI will help you with processing the application for the LMO and /or the application for the work permit


We will direct the foreign worker step by step in how to go about presenting his/her application for a work permit. Our Immigration Consultants will assist the employer in getting the LMO and the worker in obtaining the visa and work permit. A professionally prepared application makes a very big difference when applying to embassies overseas. An LMO is no guarantee that the worker will get a visa to enter Canada. We carefully review the requirements of the Canadian embassy that handles applications from the worker's country of origin, and we make sure everything is presented according to those guidelines.


There are different types of foreign nationals that can request a work permit or a change in their current work permit

Work Permit Holders

We can help people who have a work permit for one job and want to apply for a work permit for a different position that has been offered to them. Also we can help to extend your work permit with the same employer (work permit extension or work permit renewal). A Labour Market Opinion (LMO) is required before applying for a work permit renewal with the same employer or with a new employer.

Students, visitors and in-Canada permanent resident applicants

People can apply from within Canada if they have a valid study permit, or if their spouse or parents have a study or work permit and if they have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more, or if they applied for permanent residence from inside Canada and have to pass certain stages in the main application process before being eligible for work (eg. In-canada spouses, live-in caregivers)


North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)

Citizens of the United States and Mexico need a job offer without the approval of Service Canada in the following cases:

- business visitors

- professionals

- intra-company transferees

- traders and investors

Canada–Chile Free Trade Agreement (CCFTA)

The Canada–Chile Free Trade Agreement makes it easier for Chilean citizens to temporarily enter Canada. The categories, rules and requirements are similar to those under NAFTA

General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)

Persons who work for foreign companies from World Trade Organization member countries, that provide services in Canada can get a work permit without an approved job offer in the following cases

- business visitors

- professionals

- intra-company transferees

Persons exempt of work permits

Persons that have a job offer approved by Human Resources Canada can apply for a work permit in Canada. Only the following workers in specific circumstances are exempt from needing a work permit whilst working in Canada:

Business Visitors
Foreign Representatives
Family Members of Foreign Representatives
Military Personnel
Foreign Government Officers
On-Campus Employment
Performing Artists
Athletes and Coaches
News Reporters
Public Speakers
Convention Organizers
Judges and Referees
Examiners and Evaluators
Expert Witnesses or Investigators
Health-Care Students
Civil Aviation Inspectors
Accident or Incident Inspectors
Crew Members
Emergency Service Providers

These persons still need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (if applicable) to enter Canada as visitors.